Thursday, May 6, 2010

Funeral, Funeral, Funeral, Funeral

This week, there have been 4 deaths in Brooksby.  That means on Saturday, there will be 4 funerals.  I am not a big social butterfly, especially when I stick out like a sore thumb so I've been trying to stay away.  Today, however, all the teachers were going to one of the funeral preparations to pay their condolences.  I accompanied them and figured it would be okay as I was in a group.  It was very interesting and I had not been to one of these events before.  I have gone to a funeral, but not the preparations.  In the yard, a huge tent was being set up for the funeral meal.  All the women must wear skirts and everyone covers their head with a scarf or hat.    When we arrived, we filed into a small sitting room and sat down.  There was singing.  There was prayer.  There was more singing.  There were a few words by several of the teachers.  Then they fed us biscuits and coke.  The principal presented a card to the family with money in it from the teachers.  After about 1.5 hours, we got up to leave.  A few of the teachers stayed and asked me to stay too.  We went into a woman's bedroom to just visit.  This was one of the family members of the deceased.  They chatted for a bit and I sat listening politely not understanding any of their SeTswana.  Then we got up to go.  It was an interesting experience.  Tomorrow, my host sister said she will take me to one of the other funeral preparations to help with the food (peeling and chopping vegetables).  Funerals here take so much preparation.  We'll see how that goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment