Thursday, September 3, 2009
Week 4: The Woman's Body and Picture Frames
Last week we had to cancel our girls club meeting because everyone who
went to Sudwala Caves got sick and had to go to the hospital. Several
girls came and asked me if we get to do 2 crafts this week becase we
missed last week. They were quite sad when I said no. This week, we
started with a lesson about the female reproductive system and
menstruation. The lesson didn't go smoothly. My counterparts didn't
understand what I needed them to do or how to openly discuss the topic
and the girls didn't understand the English content. Then the girls
got a slip of paper to write an anonymous question, but they didn't
understand what to do and my counterparts didn't understand they
needed to answer the questions that the girls wrote. Major language
barrier issues this week! Then we played a game where the girls picked
an animal card out of a hat and had to make their animal's sound to
find the other girl with the same animal. They didn't understand the
directions, even with my animated example, and once they knew what to
do and we started over, I realized the girls didn't know the animal
sounds. After we got that all sorted out and ended the misery of our
not-so-fun game, we made picture frames out of old cardboard boxes.
Wish us better luck next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What did everyone get sick with? That shounds pretty strange. Sounds like you are really making a difference. Keep up the good work. Kendra started her Senior year and Spencer is a sophmore this year. Time does fly. Take care!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I cannot believe your kids are getting so old! I hope their school years start off well. I'm not sure what every one here ended up with officially. I'm thinking it had to do with the water they all shared though. They use a big bucket of water here and everyone just scoops out the water and drinks from the scoop. It's so not sanitary and I personally think it's disgusting, but that's what they always do. That would make sense why I was the only one not sharing it and one of the only ones who did not get sick. They all had headaches, stomach cramps, fever, and soar throats. ICKY! I am so glad I did not get sick!
ReplyDelete