Friday, September 18, 2009

Week 6: Sex vs. Abstinence and Crochet Scarf

This week's lesson was on a touchy subject. As I was training my counterparts, I got a taste of what was to come. They couldn't stop giggling! Our club meeting started with an activity this week. I posted 8 questions (What is sex? What is the result of unprotected sex? What is a condom?...) up around the room and the girls needed to rotate around and write an answer to each question. I was surprised to see how much the girls knew and were accurate about. We discussed the answers they had and then discussed the correct answers in much more detail. We talked about the ABC's of protection: abstain, be faithful, condomize. I did a condom demonstration which drew so many giggles. The nearby clinic provided some teaching aids for me to use as well, so each girl got directions on how to use a female condom and also got a male condom to open and see what it looks like and how it feels. This also brought many giggles. After our lesson, I taught the girls how to crochet. They started working. I went around helping girls and trying to demonstrate for them when they were confused. Unfortunately, the truth came out too late for me to retain my credit of knowing what I was doing. Apparently my counterparts and some of the girls already know how to crochet and use a different stitch than I was teaching. I was surprised my counterparts didn't say anything while I was teaching them. They acted like they did not know how to crochet, but then did it their own way. After the girls made some progress, I realized their projects look different than mine and when they would ask me for help, I would screw them up trying to show them the stitch that I taught. I eventually figured out what the problem was, that I was using a different stitch than all of them. By this time, the girls decided I did not know what I was doing and refused my help. We did not finish on Wednesday, so we met again on Thursday to finish. By now, many of the girls had interesting looking projects with several different stitches mixed in. A few of them started over, but some of them kept going. At the end of our time on Thursday, no one had finished their scarf, although a few were close. We will have to find another time for them to finish if they choose. Next time, I think maybe they should start with a smaller project, like a wash cloth or something. All in all, our lesson went really, really well but it is the first time our craft did not go as planned.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention one other problem we had with our craft project this week. When I handed out the crochet hooks, some were teeny tiny. I bought 3 boxes of 10 hooks that were labeled 4mm on the outside. I double checked the lable and counted the hooks. When I handed them out, one of the boxes were all 1mm hooks. So not cool!

    ReplyDelete