Monday, June 28, 2010

Computer Camp: Paint With Energy

Today at computer camp, the learners in my morning class were so excited. We started working with Paint. It was a nice change and they seemed to love drawing pictures and experimenting with the new tools and new program. They moaned when I made them take a “warm up” break. They raced back in to continue. When our time was up, they didn’t want to pry themselves away from the computers.

I loved the energy and it was so nice to see that again. I’d seen it before the end of the term when the learners were so pumped to set foot in the computer lab for the first time. Their minds soaked up the information like a sponge and they craved more, never wanting to stop. It was a little different when all of a sudden the computer stuff was not going to be during their normal school day when they had to be at school (so it was more fun and exciting than their normal classes), but would be during their holiday break, their free time, their time away from school and learning and teachers and classes. I knew it wasn’t totally gone though because so many of them voluntarily showed up for this optional opportunity.

The afternoon group, however, was not so excited and I wish I could have left after the morning group to keep the happy feeling just a little longer. We plowed through and it was just a reminder of how each group can react so differently in a classroom and each group has its own unique dynamic. It’s what makes a teacher’s job unique. Although they may be doing the same things every year, no two days are ever the same. No two classes are ever identical. But the information can still be obtained. Each group will find different activities interesting and fun although they still need all the other information too.

The community computer class increased by 2 women as well. Now we’re up to 6 registered, 4 attending. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment