I headed over to the store this morning. I ran out of bread because I’ve been having sandwiches for lunch every day with my crazy busy computer schedule. On my way, I passed a friend’s house. I know she’s been planning a celebration to give thanks for all the good things that have happened in her life. As I got close to her house, I realized there were tons of people sitting outside. Men were sitting on a log by the wood pile. On the other side of the yard, the women were sitting around a cooking fire. People here like to cook over a fire. They use a black iron, 3-legged pot. All the women dressed in their long dresses and leggings, heads covered, sitting around a 3-legged black pot that was brewing something nice while one stirred with a wooden spoon. As my glance fell on the pot, I laughed to myself as a vision popped into my head...
This was a classic Halloween scene before my eyes. I couldn’t help but make the comparison. These women, sitting around a black pot on a fire, dressed so distinctly although it is the everyday dress for the area, made me think of witches sitting in a circle brewing a potion. I really have missed all the American holidays for 2 years here. As much as I hate some of them, I really do love others. And with my new plans of leaving South Africa in September to return in October, I’ve had Halloween on my mind a bit more than usual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment