Thursday, August 12, 2010

Culture Book

Struggling for activities to do in my last few weeks, I decided to continue working with the grade 7 learners on the computers. In Mare, I worked with the grade 6 and 7 learners to create a culture book and then exchanged with some classes in the US. The students wrote about the school, the village, and the culture in the area. I then typed their answers and added pictures to create a little book. So here in Brooksby, I decided to show the grade 7 learners what my other students did and some of the material I received from the states. They were so excited to do a book too.

I split the learners into groups of 3-4 and gave each group a specific topic. Together, they will create a page for the book about the topic (from specifics on the school to what people in the village eat to transportation and so on). Now they are typing their pages. I am also teaching them how to use a digital camera. Every day, I will walk around in the village with a group of 7-8 students and allow them to take pictures around the village to illustrate their text. They are going to put the photos on the computer, edit them, and insert them onto their page. I will then take all their pages and print them off to create their book. This book will truly be a book made by the learners. I’m so excited for it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bri, this is a great project! It reminds me a lot of the yearbook project I did with kids last year and it was a very valuable and rewarding project. The cool thing is, it sounds like you're taking your time and teaching the kids to do even more of it on their own. Awesome! Good luck and I hope it turns out well! (And you should e-mail me and Lora a copy of it too, if you can.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try to post it on my blog when it's finished. :) Unfortunately, with the teachers still on strike, the students haven't been able to work on it and I leave next week. It's looking like I'll have to take their work (typing and photos) and put it together myself. So much for teaching them about photo editing.

    ReplyDelete