Sunday, August 29, 2010

Packing Up

As I’m getting ready to leave, I must make a bunch of decisions. I get to take with me 1 bag (20kg) and 1 bag (5kg). What to take, what to leave, what to toss, what to give and to whom. I’m discovering it’s a balancing act. After leaving Mare, I figured this part would be easier the second time around. I downsized when I moved and only had a few extra things when I came here. However, I’m finding it more difficult this time. Since I was planning to leave Brooksby 2 months ago, my bag has been packed, emptied, repacked, repacked several more times. Each time, a few things get added or taken away. With a week left in the village, I have finalized my list of must go and will stay items. I’ve had my bag mostly packed for a few weeks, but now it’s done. I just hope they’re not overweight, which I’m almost positive both are.

I spent my morning washing clothes that I know I will leave in Brooksby. I sorted through my food and cooking items. I have a good idea now of what I will and will not leave. I’ve organized, sorted, and piled. And even so, I still don’t feel prepared to leave. I know it’s going to happen this time. I even have my plane ticket out of South Africa (I still need one to the states though). My going away braai is set for Friday and I will leave Brooksby after the braai. My final report is submitted along with my site review and a formal description of my entire service. And yet, I don’t feel like I’m really leaving.

The teachers are still striking and I am frustrated that I don’t get to do any work for my last 3 weeks of service. It is the time volunteers wind down projects, say their goodbyes, and prepare for their departure. Although I didn’t have anything big going on, I won’t get to finish the little things I started.

This is definitely one time in my life I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment