Tuesday, August 3, 2010

School Lunch

I have finally discovered the joys of school lunch. All the other PCVs regularly eat lunch at their schools, but I never have. I always brought my own lunch or would wait till I got home. At Mafetatsubela PS, they told me I could not eat the school lunch because it was just for the children. Every day, the cooks would take home big containers full of leftovers for their families. I’m not quite sure how they justified that one, but oh well. (Our saying my fellow volunteers say to explain the confusing or contradictory things we see, “This is Africa.”)

Every day, the cooks at Pudulogo PS offered me lunch, but I refused. Although the teachers here eat the lunch, I just didn’t feel right eating the school food. Well, I finally got some sense knocked into me. I am now in love with the school cooks. They make wonderful meals every day for the children. They have a rotating menu of about 5 meals. I haven’t quite found the pattern yet, but I like all but one of them. I have even grown to enjoy eating the tin fish and pap. My favorite is samp and beans. I also like the soup, cabbage, and milled rice. Rice and soup is good as well. They also cook sour porridge with soup and potatoes (which I still can’t make myself eat much of).

No comments:

Post a Comment