Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Teacher Strike
The teachers in South Africa are on a National Teacher’s Strike. Teachers unions are huge and powerful here. Every year around this time, they usually go on strike demanding more money and subsidized housing. So…Tuesday the strike began. Teachers all over the country just didn’t show up to school. The students arrive to locked doors and empty classrooms. Some places the teachers have left work for the students to study, other places just stop. My school, the teachers are coming late in the morning and leaving after lunch. So, my last few days have been very short. I wish I could continue to work with the grade 7 learners on their book, but for safety of PCVs, we are told not to go to school or plan any work while the strike continues. This sucks! I’m running out of things to do with my free time and am so bored already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment