Friday, September 24, 2010
COS Trip: Arrive in Kampala, Uganda
4:30am wakeup call from the ferry’s horn. We were arriving at the port. I was quite surprised as I thought we would be arriving between 6 and 6:30. I got up and asked my roommate where we were. No one had informed me we would be stopping at a port before Bokoba. She was getting off and I went back to sleep. At 5:45, a man came knocking at my door looking for the key. I turned in the key, grabbed my bags, and headed to the rail to watch as we docked. I raced off the boat and got in the first taxi. It took me to the bus station in Bokoba. I arrived around 6:30 and got my bus ticket straight to Kampala. The bus was only half full when I bought my ticket, but by the time we left at 7:00, it was overcrowded. I guess the bus caters to the ferry. We hit the Tanzania/Uganda border and went quickly through. I was surprised how quick it went. Then we were back on the bus. It was a BEAUTIFUL ride through the country. The bus was a bit sketchy, but the view made up for it. Around 12:00, we hit the outskirts of Kampala. The traffic was INSANE. I thought it was bad in the other cities, not like this. We finally hit the bus station in the city center around 1:45. I got off and checked with the other white guy on the bus. We were going to the same backpacker and so shared a cab. Luck was with us. The cab ride was quite scary as we were bumper to bumper the entire ride. We convinced the driver to stop at an ATM which was good, and got to see a bit of the city center. Once checked in at Red Chilli, I found myself some food at the bar and then took a nap. I was so exhausted after the stressful trip to Mwanza and hectic departure. I awoke with a horrible headache. Realizing it had been about 24 hours since my last drink of water, I quickly gulped 1.5 liters of water with rehydration powder, had a small sandwich, and am heading back to bed. What a long day of doing nothing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment