Sunday, September 26, 2010

COS Trip: Kampala and the Grocery Store Adventure

Still exhausted but needing to get some food, I headed into Kampala today. I managed to hitch a ride to the Lungogo Mall from the manager of the backpacker. There I went to Game (kind of like a Target) and Shoprite (a grocery store with some other regular supplies as well). I managed to find some good deals on 5liters of water, 2liters of soda, and some other snacks and food essentials. Eating at the backpacker is expensive and they mark up their water and snacks a whole lot. Their food they cook in the kitchen is quite overpriced too. So I’m glad I got some food to eat.

Getting back to the backpacker was quite the adventure. None of the local taxis that drove by were willing to stop. I found where they do stop and discovered none of them went my way. I had to carry my heavy load up the huge hill to the taxi park. Here, the people were not very helpful and totally frustrated me as they sent me from one end to the other and back. Finally I got into one of the taxis and the marshal was trying to get me out. He kept saying it would be cheaper for me to take the ______. I never did get what he was saying. I think he might have meant one of the motorcycles. I stuck my ground and eventually it was full and took off. It went right where I needed to be. I had another block uphill to walk before arriving back “home.” After 3 weeks of not pumping or hauling any water, my arms have lost their abilities. I struggled so much with my 5 liters and 2 liters and other stuff. I don’t remember the last time my arms were so tired. Guess I need to work them a bit before I go white water rafting on the Nile.

When I got back, I jumped in the pool to cool off, right before the rain started spitting unevenly from the clouds. It was a successful trip, but way more work than I had anticipated. Since I’ve been back, I’ve just spent my time relaxing. I think I may cave and even though I bought a bunch of food, join the overpriced barbeque tonight at the backpacker. It smells so good and I’m quite hungry. Hopefully I’ll get a good night sleep before my trip to Ngamba Island in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Briana,
    You are amazing. To do the things you are doing - and do them alone and for the first time is hard to imagine. I'm glad you are able to experience all the things you do and I hope the balance of your trip goes safely and provides pleanty of great experiences and wonderful sights. We are all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Take care and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete