Saturday, September 11, 2010

COS Trip : Arrive in Zanzibar

It's official.  I am an RPCV and have left South Africa!

I'm beginning my COS (Close of Service) Trip in Zanzibar, Tanzania.  Here I go...
I had not made reservations because friends had told me no need. All I had was a Lonely Planet Book. I had the driver take me to Flamingo Inn – Full! He took me to 4 other hostels/guest houses that were all full. Then he brought me to Garden Lodge. They had 1 single room with bathroom, queen bed, fan, and mosquito net. A bit over my price range, but I was desperate. I checked in and dropped my bags. I walked into town to find an ATM. I soon learned that single white women should not walk alone. I attracted all the men. I never was able to freely wander because I was being followed. I got a new sim card for my cell phone (emergency use only) and found an internet café. I bought some water and wandered around looking at the shops and trying to find an ATM. I finally found an ATM to get some money for my stay. Then, I came back to my room. The receptionist said it was ok for me to walk around alone at night and there’s no curfew at the lodge. I headed back to town.

There is a big celebration for the end of Ramadan so there were people EVERYWHERE. The sunset was masked by clouds and I got some food on a stick. There were vendors all over the place with all kinds of interesting things. Many of the stands had a juice machine. They put sugar cane through this press and it makes juice. I was too afraid to try the juice as it was squeezed onto chunks of ice to cool before drinking. The water is not safe here and I do not want to be sick on day 1. I sat and talked to some ladies from here and another American. A Spaniard joined in as well. It was quite interesting. The girls were trying to learn English and wanted some practice. The Spanish woman was just being nosey. But, it’s been a long day so I headed back to my room for bed around…well…what time zone am I in? 7ish I think. I ended up unpacking my entire luggage situation to try and repack. I got about half way done before I realized I really shouldn’t have done that. Oh well, I will appreciate it later…if I get it all back in my bags. If all goes well, I won’t have to touch my big backpack…but I’ll still have to haul it with me. I really wish I would have been traveling light on this trip. Maybe I’ll just have to ditch some things as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment